Title. Double click me.
BAB's has Lunch
@ Landmark Restaurant
809 West Meain Street
October 13, 2014
11:00 a.m. -
$$ - Seperate Checks Issued
History comes alive from this vintage location. The distinctive gable roofed building which houses the Landmark Restaurant today, began its life in 1908 as a Mormon Church. Extension Road, the street that flanks the building’s east side, had an open canal. Large cottonwood trees grew on each side of the canal, with the branches touching in the middle. It was a favorite swimming spot for children in the summer.
The church was originally housed in what is now the main dining room of the Landmark. At that time, the front door faced Main Street to the North. Downstairs were the Sunday school rooms. It wasn’t until 1939 that the church added on and the remodeled the building making it look much as it does today. The pictures of the church in 1908 and 1939 as shown here, also are part of the historical photo gallery in the Lower level of the restaurant. The other photos throughout this brochure are also just a taste of the past you can relive in the Landmark’s gallery.
The two buildings to the South of the restaurant were created for social events. Both were constructed from adobe bricks. The larger of the two is called, “Heritage Hall” and was built as the recreational hall for the church in the late twenties. Many social events were held here including plays and dances. The patio between the church and recreational hall was the location of the Thursday night dances. People would come from miles around, as far as Phoenix, to enjoy the good times and the ice cream made by the Ladies Aid Society in the basement kitchen of Heritage Hall. The smaller building behind the patio was built as a Boy Scout meeting room in the late 1930′s.
After the congregation moved on to bigger quarters in the 1950′s, an insurance company moved in and used the building for their offices for several years. Phoenix College wanted to open a branch in the Mesa area, at this site.
It ultimately became Mesa Community College. The college placed a plaque on the corner of the building in 1989. It reads, “This is the site of the original campus of Mesa Community College which first operated in this building on September 11,1963, as an extension of Phoenix College, with 330 students under the leadership of Dr. John D. Riggs. This plaque is placed here to honor the past, present and future faculty, staff, and students at the beginning of MCC’s 25th Anniversary Year. August 21, 1989″
Rouch’s Schoolhouse Restaurant set up shop in the building in 1972. Don and Candy Ellis moved to Arizona from New Hampshire and opened the Landmark Restaurant on New Year’s Day 1981.
Email Janie that you will be attending. email@example.com
October 6, 2014